Friday, December 16, 2005

Chicken Little or a Little Chicken

Yesterday was fairly normal for a court day here in this little town. However it was an exceptional day in that I got the bejeebees scared out of me THREE times yesterday. This must surely be an all time record for me. I'm not normally what one would consider jumpy or squirrelly.
The first time I jumped outta my skin was when I was in the back part of our office where some file cabinets are located. Our kitchen area is also there. There is a door there that leads to an enclosed outside area. This building was at one time a mental health facility. The city purchased it and turned it into City Hall, the PD, and the Clerk's office. The outdoor area is actually an unused, crusty pool area. However it is now used by various police officers and attorneys on court night to go out and smoke a cigarette. All was quiet and I had no idea that anyone had gone out the door to smoke. There I was, minding my own beeswax, when suddenly the door is thrown open and in stomps one of the officers. It must be mentioned that while he is very unattractive, he is in no way frightening. But as far I was concerned it could've been and ax murderer. My heart jumped into my throat! Boy did he ever catch me off guard. I sucked in waaay too much air. I spun around whilst clutching my chest and breathily informed him that he had nearly scared me to death and was almost Kung Fooed. (Insert wild chopping motions and "Waaaa Waaaa" sounds.) He laughed. Evidently my threat of Kung Fooing someone isn't as meaningful as it should be. I'll have to work on that.
After I recovered from this awful fright the day continued on. My next near heart attack occurred after court was over. It was dark and cold outside. I went to my car and started it to let it warm up. I had very little visibility out of any of the windows while the car heated because of the rain. I began to hear noises next to my car and see someone nearby. My heart jumped and I felt my body tense. I immediately looked to see if my doors were locked. At times I can have a wild imagination. I don't think anyone would ever linger after court to try to murder me, but who knows? Like I said in the previous post I've been known to assist in making judgments. I looked out my window as best as I could to see who was there. I realized that it was one of the detectives going to his own car. I made a mental note to smack him the next time I saw him.
The third near heart attack warrants a separate post. Hopefully I won't be any worse for the wear as a result of these incidents. I'm sure I'll be fine. Just gotta stop being so jumpy. Either that or learn karate. Yeah, that would be fun. Karate chopping the people who scare me. Except that after the third incident Ax would now be deceased.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Jen, Will post it on Monday!!

1:03 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

MONDAY?????
That's FOREVER . . .

Don't you love it when I whine??

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home