Thursday, December 15, 2005

Payday

There is a judge (JN) here in our little municipal court whose mind is deteriorating. He is a sweet man but his memory is utter crap. When I sit on the court bench with him this judge will actually ask me....yes ME...what he should do with various cases. Due to my decisive and outspoken nature I give him an answer. However it's very obvious that a clerk should NOT be telling the judge what to do. It is honestly a bit embarrassing and obviously unprofessional. While we are a small and informal court, I certainly do not want to appear "po-dunk" as they say. Meaning a small town with small minds. It's just that JN is so very clueless. Sweet but clueless. One of his favorite things to do is obsess over when payday is. We clerks do not believe that he is poor. He doesn't look it or live it. We have come to hypothesize that he must want to get the money before his wife does. He will call repeatedly to ask when payday is and to remind us to hold his check for him to pick up. After about the third conversation regarding this topic I begin to become aggravated to put it mildly. Anyone within earshot can clearly learn my opinion of him and his mental deterioration. JN can also NEVER remember his court dates. We have court twice a month. He holds only one of those courts. He will call three or four times a week asking when he holds court next. I kid you not. It's only a matter of time before his mental condition begins to manifest itself more boldly. Somethings gotta give, otherwise I may strangle him.

2 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

How utterly sad.
I hope that he is receiving help.

Now, having said that, I understand your side completely, too. It's VERY disarming to work with someone like that. You constantly want to scream at them and shake them until they understand and then you feel MASSIVE amounts of guilt for feeling that way. Ugh.

I'm sorry you have that hell in your bit of heaven.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Meghan, I didn't mean to make it sound that sad. It's actually rather amusing most of the time. But yes I do want to shake him. The funny thing is that he has no clue how bad it really is.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home