Wednesday, November 30, 2005

In the Middle

I had lunch with granny yesterday. She is looking so old and frail these days. I see her aged face and she tells me how it's getting to where she can't see that well. I feel strongly that she may not be with us much longer. She isn't sick or anything but she's always had heart issues. I don't know why I feel like I do. She just seems so much older to me these days. It worries me.
While at lunch, I brought up the subject of my mother. They aren't speaking since the whole house selling issue blew up. I talked to granny about calling my mother to try to build some semblance of a bridge between them. Granny started going into all the reasons why she's right about everything she's done. I told her that she didn't need to validate herself to me. I told her all I wanted was for her and Mother to talk again. Later, granny called Mother. Not suprisingly, Mother would not talk to her.
When I talked to granny at lunch that day I told her how I felt about things. I could care less about her house or anything she owns, as far as inheriting any of it goes. I told her that all I care about is her, and having her here with us, and loving her while she's here. It's the honest truth. While I am human and material things are necessary, I could absolutely care less about getting one single scrap of anything from her estate when she passes. I would like to have her Bible for sentimental reasons. But the antiques, piano, porcelain Princess Diana dolls, and many other things of significant value mean nothing to me. I might only like to have something small as a reminder of her. The vultures I call family can have the rest. Granny is what is most valuable to me. The person she is, the life she's lived, the positive influence she's been on my life. She's shown me how important it is to have a relationship with God. She's shown me how to welcome someone into my home and make them feel loved. Granny is not perfect, but she has always loved us all. I will be happy if she is around for another 20 years. It seems that my mother is too preoccupied with granny's death. Mother is so angry and bitter over granny's house being sold to her brother, Mike. Mother is disgusted with the idea of Helen (Mike's wife, whom we all despise) living in granny's house. Mother also can not stand the idea of Mike's kids inheriting everything when all they've ever been is a bunch of leeches.
I had encouraged granny to call Mother to try to build a bridge. Mother will never get the apology she deserves. She will never get back what has been given away. Nothing can be undone. All that's left is for my mother to find a way to have a decent relationship with her mother, my granny. After I found out that Mother refused to talk to granny, I called her. I tried to tell her that material things will all become dust. Love is all that matters. While I know that sounds like a cheesy song, it's the steadfast truth. The Bible says it, we all know it deep down. The love that we give and leave behind are all that we are worth as people.
Mother and granny are just going to have to agree to disagree. There will be no apologies or meeting of hearts. The best I can hope for is decency between them.
It's such a heartache for me to be in the middle. I feel drained after talking to my mother. I know that some of her bitterness over all this comes from feeling as if she were unwanted as a child. Mother says that she was basically raised by her grandparents until she was old enough to start school. She told me that she only went home on weekends. She has also told me that she absolutely loved being with her "Mommie and Poppie". So it's not like she was ever locked in a closet or anything. She was nurtured and spoiled. Mother told me that she overheard my granny talking once to a friend and said that when she found out she was pregnant with my mother she cried. I asked granny about this. She said if she cried it was because she knew she was in for a difficult pregnancy, as the first with my mother's older brother had been.
I don't know what it's like to walk in my mother's shoes. I know that I have A LOT of love for my mother. She is an amazing, independent, strong woman. If my mother has even a semblance of love for her own mother that I have for her then surely there must be some way for them to reconcile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home