Monday, June 26, 2006

Vacation and a Missed Funeral

Friday, June 16th, my grandfather passed away. I was at work when I got the call and went straight over to be with family. I stayed with them all day and went to the funeral home to make arrangements. I explained to my parents and grandmother about the vacation plans for the next day. Everyone said that Ax and I should go. I wanted to be with my family but I also realized that if I didn't take this opportunity for a vacation I probably wouldn't get another one for many years. So, we went. My mother said that many people asked about me and all she told them was that I was out of town. I feel a little guilty. Especially when people express their sympathy. I'm thinking..."Thanks, but I was on the beach." I never thought in a million years that would be my prevailing mental picture in relation to the death of my grandfather. It's screwed up.

Now...to tell you about Destin, FL. It is an absolutely gorgeous place. We went out into the ocean up to our shoulders and could still look down and see our toes. The water was amazingly clear in places. Ax and I enjoyed beautiful weather and great restaurants. The beaches are white and the shopping is spectacular.
Our little condo at the Surfside was pretty nice. My only gripe there is that the damned toilet wouldn't stop running the entire time we were there. The only other not so great thing is that when we arrived on Saturday we had to check in at the resort office. From there we headed over to the condo. We got lost. And aggravated. After 8 hours on the road our patience was wearing a little thin. Not to mention that it seemed as though the young idiots, (oops, I mean young men), at the resort office were STUPID. After driving another 45 minutes when it should've only been 15 we found it. Other than that everything was great. Except for the fact the we went out to eat at Fudpucker's on Saturday night and whatever Ax ate gave him a horrible case of the runs all day Sunday. Poor guy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I think you made the right decision. This would have been your last vacay before the baby.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Today is the 1 year anniversary my grandfather died. We moved to Australia and 2 weeks later we found out he was sick with cancer. It's such a long flight to get back to NJ and I agonized over it for months. Finally I made it home the week before he passed away.

I can appreciate how hard your decision was.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home