Monday, May 22, 2006

So what if I stink....my house smells great.

This weekend Ax and I attended his parents 38th anniversary celebration. It was a barbecue hosted by Ax's brother, Brad.
Brad's wife, M, had cleaned all day. She is known for being compulsive about the state of her home. She despises unplanned visitors because of this quirk of hers. The funny thing is that her house was very clean, however she looked as though she hadn't showered or seen a cosmetic in 48 hours. I find this amusing. I happen to be quite the opposite in this department. While the state of my home is important, my personal appearance is of farrrrrr more concern. Especially when I'm having guests over. This quirk of M's, amuses me further because of the image that seems to be so important for them to uphold......"so what if I stink, my house smells great." Hahaaaaaaa.
The other event of the evening that I found distasteful occurred between Ax's parents. It's obvious in their day to day interaction and conversation that the two do not really like each other. However James surprised Wanda with a lovely gift. He picked out a gorgeous ring for her. She was delighted.
Two oddities must be noted.
If I were a member of a strange cult that only allowed me to celebrate one day a year, being in recognition of my anniversary, I would make it a very magnificent celebration and commence the exchange of expensive gifts with my spouse. Not the case here. Wanda responded with the appropriate "oooohs and ahhhhs" upon receiving her gift. Then she proceeded to admit that she "had not got him anything, only a hard time." No kidding sister. We have all been witnesses to that. She further admitted that she wouldn't get him anything, all he would be able to do is spend more money on his hobby of building a Model T.
What a witch.
Outside of these observations the evening was very enjoyable. Ax's family is just weird.
Not to say that mine isn't. His is just more subtle about it. Which makes that much more fascinating in my view.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Wow. Just wow.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home