Friday, April 28, 2006

My First Memory ...In Honor of Meghan

In my first memory I was about three years old. I was at my dad's parents house. I call them Bobbie and Moon. Or maybe Grandma Bobbie and Moon. Anyway....I was in their front yard. They still live in the same house. I was standing there and suddenly the devil dog appeared. The devil dog was rather smallish to medium sized. It had longish white hair and fangs three inches long. At least that what those teeth looked to a scared three year old. The dog came to the corner of the yard and started growling and barking at me and baring its teeth.
I froze.
I just stood there, unable to move an inch, and started screaming at the top of my lungs.
My grandpa Moon came running out of the house to get me.
He scooped me up and brought me inside.
Some how during this...he broke his toe.
I don't remember which toe it was, but I remember standing at the edge of the bed looking at his feet. It seems I was about eye level with them, and his feet were huge and ugly.
I remember feeling bad for him because of his toe.

I find this memory to be rather funny. I've never really like Moon all that much. But I'm certainly thankful that he sacrificed a toe for my safety from the devil dog.

That dog was really horrible. I was terrified to go outside at their house from then on out. I can remember seeing that devil dog into my teen years. May it not rest in peace.

The bad part is that now Moon has been diagnosed with cancer. Just today I got a call that he'd fallen in the tub and possibly had a stroke. My mom and dad are in Panama City Beach, FL right now. They went down and were staying on a military base there for some training for my dad. They weren't supposed to be back until Sunday. They've had to rush back. However dad has talked to Moon today and he says all that he has is a bad headache. Maybe it will all be okay, at least for awhile.

2 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Oh sweetie!
Thank you for the post!
Devil dogs . . bleck . . my grandparents had one, too.
Toby, the little ball of fur that would bite you before you could blink.
But you were saved!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about Moon, though. Hopefully things will be okay.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love that memory!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home