Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dinner with the In-Laws

Last night, before the in-laws arrived, I burnt dessert. Dear God, the horror of it. I made a pathetic attempt at baking an Angel Food cake. Bad idea. It completely stunk the house up with an awful, crusty burnt smell. After I realized that dessert was a hopeless case, as looked down at the pan in the sink, I wanted to hide it from my in-laws. I thought about throwing the pan away, it was that horrid. I seriously considered putting it into the dryer to remove it from sight. Not the oven, I needed it for other things. Too big for the fridge. So I just turned it over in the sink and put other dishes on top of it. It was bad people, very bad.

The evening moved on from there to me wanting to elbow my Mother-in-Law in the eye. She is such a negative, sour sub-human wench.
Ax was talking about his job. He is a draftsman, with an Associates Degree in his field. His company has just hired an engineer with a degree. This new guy will not be Ax's boss, only taking some of the load off him. He will have other job functions that have nothing to do with Ax. Ax expressed a bit of bewilderment over how this new engineer has been included in more of the meetings lately that Ax had always attended. I've told Ax that I believe the company realizes that his skills are best used drawing at his computer, not in meetings that obviously the new guy can handle. No big deal. However Ax has unfortunately inherited some of his Mother's pessimistic personality and tends to over analyze everything.
Then, Ax's mother (Wanda), ever so brightly interjects, "Well, doesn't this guy have a degree?" "Isn't he an engineer?" Basically insinuating that Ax is a piss ant who is insignificant and expendable.
I felt the blood rushing to my face. I wisely kept my mouth shut and let the topic fade away. My father-in-law asked me a moment later if were sunburned. I told him not unless the fluorescent lighting at work was finally getting to me. Hello, who the hell is sunburned in January? There's always the tanning bed, but what the hell?! I told him it was from cooking and burning desert that had me a little flushed. That was a big, fat lie. My face was red because I wanted to elbow my mother-in-law in the eye.
Wanda's comments obviously bothered Ax because he brought the topic back up. I basically asked her, that if she thought being an engineer was so important, would she be willing to help Ax pay for school if he went back? Her greedy, selfish eyes got as big as sauce pans. She immediately began to expound on how proud she was of Ax, and how difficult it would be to go back to school. She also began to go on and on about how materialistic too many people where, and how unimportant material things are. I still desperately wanted to elbow her in the eye.

It must be mentioned that his parents are loaded. However they are the cheapest, stingiest people alive. They are such tightwads that they will never spend money on themselves or give us one thin dime. Which I think is STUPID. They should be taking trips and cruises. It might mellow Wanda out a bit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That's why I don't get along with my mother. Too freaking judgmental. I can't stand people like that to the point where I get apathetic to their entire existance.

Good for you for keeping your cool! I could never do that.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

It's hard to keep my cool around her. She is a bitch.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home