Friday, March 24, 2006

Looking Ahead

http://www.babycenter.com/general/baby/1442886.html

The link above is to a series of entries written by a new mother. I've been reading her account of what it's been like for her ((Joyce) to care for her newborn, Violet. I'm a bit frightened by what I'm reading in some senses. I don't expect it to be easy. I suppose education can be bad for you sometimes.

When I think of the routine that Ax and I have right now and then I think of how drastically that will change when the baby arrives...it's unsettling. Joyce describes feeding Violet 8 to 12 times a day for the first couple of weeks. She feels chained and imprisoned. Not to mention horribly exhausted for being a human food machine.

The story continues. Things begin to get a little better, schedule wise. Then week 10 arrives and Joyce is terribly lonely. She feels trapped inside their apartment with no adult contact. She was a working stiff like the rest of us until she became a stay at home mother to Violet. Joyce laments her job, old routine, and adult contact.

As far as I go personally I have often felt chained to this desk chair. Trapped in this office. Sick of looking at these same walls in this office, staring at my computer. Joyce doesn't give me much hope thinking that I'm moving from one prison to another. Maybe it's all about personal outlook. Being tethered to my desk and computer is far more limiting than what I imagine my life as a homemaker would be. At home you have multiple rooms to roam. While my house may be small, it's far bigger than this office. At home you have books to read, TV to watch, the outdoors. Those things are forbidden to me here at work, for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. Not to mention the consuming time it takes to ready myself to get here, then drive here and back. Those hours all add up. Maybe it's distraction that I'll have to be prepared for whenever I reach Joyce's stage with Violet. There are family to visit and old friends to lunch with.

In case it's not completely obvious I'm a bit frightened by the unknown. It is exciting to think that in 6 months from now I'll have a sweet, tiny baby and I'll no longer be glued to my chair in this office. However I know there will be difficulties, adjustments, and exhaustion. How will Ax and I change? How will our life and routine be different? I consider myself optimistic, but uneasy nonetheless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I've babysat exactly once for my sister's baby and felt that way after 3 hours. I'm sure it's different if it's your own baby!

The house has many more distractions than the office does, so I bet you're right!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home