Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Old Friends

An old friend I went to high school with contacted me through MySpace. It was a great surprise to hear from him. He's married with THREE kids! It's great to hear that old friends are doing well. He (Todd) asked me about any other people I'd kept up with from school. I filled him in on everything I knew and what I'd found out at our reunion in July. The part that I was apprehensive about sharing with him is that at the reunion it was announced that his high school girlfriend, Melanie, had passed away. I searched for her obituary and asked around but I couldn't find out anything. I told Todd the news in my last e-mail and I said that I hoped he already knew about Melanie. I am just really, really hoping that he'd already heard. I would feel awful if I'd told him something so devastating in a casual e-mail. I'm questioning myself here. Todd was always a really great guy so I'm sure he'd forgive me. Not to mention that we did kind of grow up together, so he could easily recognize that I'm a bit wacky. But I'd really feel worse than horrible if I were springing news like this on him for the first time. He's in Texas and has been for awhile.
I also received another call from a dear friend that I haven't spoken to in a month. I called her to let her know I was preggers. We always talk and laugh but it always seems like she keeps herself distant from me. I don't know why. Despite all that I was certainly glad to have her call me for a change. It seems I'm craving close friends these days. So many of us overlook how precious and rare true friendship really is.

2 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

I don't know if I've overlooked it or not.
I maintain contact with no one from high school.
It was a wonderful part of my life.
I loved highschool, and if I had a time machine, I would go back and visit for short periods.
But after high school . . the few people I tried maintaining contact with, well, we just had nothing in common anymore.
There are only so many times you can do the "Remember that time in Mrs. Tye's class when you . . . " or "Oh MAN! That night at Crawley's farm you were SO drunk!" before you have nothing to talk about.

I'm so sorry about your friend's girlfriend. Surely he will understand how hard it was for you to figure out how to tell him.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

AHH! MySpace comepletely invades our lives!!!

I'd like to think he already knew, so fear not!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home